Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cane corso vs Presa canario

Full name
    ryan

Default Cane corso vs Presa canario

I've also been reading up on cane corsos and I like them too so I'm kinda of torn between both dogs. Can someone tell me the pros and cons to both breeds and I know peope here are more biased towards presa canario.Looking for a pet, guard, campanion, & all around house dog.

Full name
    Dan B. (dog_domain@hotmail.com)

Biggest issue with Cane Corso is consistency and breed-type variation; they are very inconsistent, and whereas there's at least two clear types in Presa's (/ Dogos), you have Traditional Cane Corso and the two psuedo types Euro-Corso (heavy Neo, Boxer, AmStaff) and US-Corso (Neo, Rott and AmStaff/Pit).

When you get a good one, they are very good dogs. They are taller and often times bigger than many Presa's in overall weight (usually detrimental) but are longer legged and narrower, as they are supposed to be a coursing mastiff first and foremost, they are not primarilly a catch (butcher's) dog. The good ones I've seen tend to be better disposed toward strangers as adults than good Presa's, and not nearly as dog aggressive, though I read a lot of posts this year on a couple of non-UK (Auustralian and US) forums saying they are very dog aggressive in some folks experience so hard to say. When they work, what I've seen's been very good, more than enough for real-life, but, they do tend to lack some depth that the better Presa's have in high-stress training situations and can 'evaporate' quite quickly. They can have a very, very hard grip too.

Both breeds are good, to decide what you like / suits you, you need to find the lines of both you like, then go see them in the flesh.
    DanUK
    (signature pic: J7's Romper Stomper! Loco and Bandogge Goblin)

Full name
    chris

I have the US Corso type and he is 26' 115 at 2yrs, and everytime I see him run I want to pass him a football. Unstoppable. Great temperament, have never had an issue with him. He's not so protective, but then again I do not need protection, LOL. PM me if you like, I just took a moment and noticed a Texas (corso) breeder who appears to have his shit straight. Starting point for you anyway.
    Last edited by presasrus; 27th October 2009 at 00:03.

Full name
    ryan

Quote Originally Posted by presasrus View Post
    I have the US Corso type and he is 26' 115 at 2yrs, and everytime I see him run I want to pass him a football. Unstoppable. Great temperament, have never had an issue with him. He's not so protective, but then again I do not need protection, LOL. PM me if you like, I just took a moment and noticed a Texas (corso) breeder who appears to have his shit straight. Starting point for you anyway.
    I still have not made up my mind yet on which breed I want

Decision has to be made based solely and strictly on your needs.
    Both breeds are good all around for family guardians and companions.
    The Presa is more versatile than the Corso with regards to Protection training but also a higher maintainance breed and a bit more on the extreme side.It can be a real head case!!!
    I'd like to add something here and this comes from a very reliable source, that in some European Corso bloodlines there's Presa blood incorporated into them to improve certain areas, mental and physical.
    If you're looking for a good family dog that also protects and a bit on the calm side then the Corso is for you.If you're looking for something harder
    depending on your needs then the Presa is your breed under certain conditions.Take care

Default Presa versus Cane Corso

I have one of each; my female Presa (Choya) is almost seven years old and my male Corso (Yogi) is five years old. My input is strictly limited to around the house, dog park, personality and social interactions. Both are fixed, neither has ever produced a litter of puppies, I do not show them and I do not work them. They are a part of our family, they are walked daily, we go to the dog park and they can come and go in and out of the house as they choose through an XXL dog door. They are a part of our family. Neither of them has ever destroyed anything in the house.

Choya is much more social, more so with people; friends and strangers alike. She will accept love, hugs and kisses from anyone. She is very sensitive and much more aware of the "mood" of the house. She will play with other dogs (on walks and at the the dog park) but is much less tolerant of the hyperactivity and bad behavior of other dogs. She has not fought any other dog and she has never bitten anyone or any other animal (with the exception of two unlucky squirrels). She does not shed and she does not drool. She is extremely attached to my husband especially, she sits in his lap (believe it or not) and prefers to sleep near him.

Yogi is much less social with people yet *loves* other dogs, especially the little, hyperactive ones. He is more stand-offish with people. He is not aggressive or shy and also has never bitten anyone or fought any other animal. I would describe him as "aloof" or sometimes a "snob." He is very goofy, playful and less likely to have a clue what's going on around him. He sheds and drools, a lot. His drool is disgusting. It sticks like glue to everything. Yogi prefers to sleep alone (thank god). He usually sleeps near the foot of the bed or at the end of the hall. He is much less "cuddly" and much less attached (ie; needy) than Choya.

At the last vet visit for each, Choya weighed 118 pounds and Yogi weighed 148. I joke that he was two pounds heavier before he got fixed. Some people think that's funny. Others don't get it.

Anyway, here's some pictures, taken a few months ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00231.jpg 
Views:	826 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	26031

Name:	DSC00232.jpg 
Views:	576 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	26032

Name:	DSC00236.jpg 
Views:	1009 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	26033

Name:	DSC00238.jpg 
Views:	510 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	26034

Name:	DSC00250.jpg 
Views:	455 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	26035

Name:	DSC00257.jpg 
Views:	485 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	26036

Name:	DSC00266.jpg 
Views:	926 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	26037
    Last edited by Jennifer089; 31st October 2009 at 09:19.

Full name
    Anna

yu have to do what your heart is thinking to be right.
    for me i would never ever buy another breed then a Presa.

i think thatīs ok because when we would all be the same there would be only one breed.

For me are the following reasons to have a dog very important.

Good with children
    Protecting my Land and Property also protection for my Family.
    Then a dog what not will be friends with everybody he seeing twice.
    A dog were you can be working with.

When i see my Girlfriend she is a profesion breeder with DOGO ARGENTINO.

When i come to here home even when she is not there All (22 dogs) are so happy to see mee and i can go through her house i could steel everything.Thats what i donīt like.
    I know when somebody come to my house and iīm not at home BEAR would kill him/her.

what i would say go to breeders from Cano corso and go to Presa Breeders and not only one time a couple of and then look witch breed would be ok for you and your family.

Full name
    carlos fidel melchor casal

Hello,

there is everyones ĻgustoĻ for me in general i prefer 100% the Presa.
    For sure there are good Corsos out there but in general they have
    - severe health problems
    - total out of standart ( in US most are Ban Dogs )
    - lack of temp
    - too expensive
    - non guarding or defense drive

For me

No. 1 Presa Canario
    No. 2 American BullDog
    No. 3 Dogo Argentino
    No. 4 Boerbel
    No. 5 Rottweiler ( if healthy )

Full name
    ryan

http://www.highvelocityk9s.com/

what do yall think about this kennel??

Full name
    Meredith S.

I didn't make it past the front page of that horribly cheesy website, covered in flames and corny graphics, blasting a playlist of gangsta rap at me... wow. Do I get the latest 50 Cent CD with my puppy purchase? Usually when breeders use the "Dogwebz" site templates (as this breeder does) I just close the page.

"WE DOING IT FOR REAL"
    "DOWN HERE IN"
    "SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA"
    "DONT TALK ABOUT IT"
    "BE ABOUT IT"

^^^ What planet do you have to be from to understand that? Because I don't get it.