Thread: Presa compared to Boerboel?

Default Presa compared to Boerboel?

For those of you who have been around both, how would you compare the two breeds temperament wise? and perhaps health wise?

Contributor Member

Boerboel are known to have problems with aggression/ nerves in the breed (at least according to the people I have talked to with them). By this I mean the dogs turning on their owners (even knowledgable ones) and the family. Many of them are fear biters from what I understand. The Presa has it's nerve issues as well, but not from what I have seen a fearful Presa will flee before it will bite the crap out of it's owner. Genevieve

Full name
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by mrirish33 View Post
    For those of you who have been around both, how would you compare the two breeds temperament wise? and perhaps health wise?
    Well, the top 10% of each breed will be good and the rest should be shot, LOL.

These dog breeds are all the same, if you are talking about good ones. If there is a various between the two then it is because one is bred "subparly".

If we are only talking about good ones, then you could throw a blanket over Boerboels, Dogo Argentina, Pitbulls, American Bulldogs, Presas and Bandogs and whatever else you can add, and they will all be the same more or less (The pit will naturally be a little smaller and typically smiling under his blanket, LOL).

If you are looking at a piece of crap, then it is a piece of crap ........ it doesn't matter if it comes in a:

brindle coat
    white coat
    white and blue coat
    fawn coat
    black coat
    pink coat

Inside the head and heart, the good ones are all the same, they like to fight, love kids, like to sleep on the couch and they like to fight (did I say that twice?).

So asking if there is a difference is pointless, there is more variation within a breed, top to bottom, than between the breeds, side by side.

My opinion,

Sam
    Last edited by slamm; 22nd April 2008 at 02:07.
    When you are stupid, your whole body suffers- Scott Nelson 1986

Full name
    Justin Ross

What Sam said...
    Justin Ross, D.C.
    Chiropractic Physician

Quote Originally Posted by slamm View Post
    Well, the top 10% of each breed will be good and the rest should be shot, LOL.

These dog breeds are all the same, if you are talking about good ones. If there is a various between the two then it is because one is bred "subparly".

If we are only talking about good ones, then you could throw a blanket over Boerboels, Dogo Argentina, Pitbulls, American Bulldogs, Presas and Bandogs and whatever else you can add, and they will all be the same more or less (The pit will naturally be a little smaller and typically smiling under his blanket, LOL).

If you are looking at a piece of crap, then it is a piece of crap ........ it doesn't matter if it comes in a:

brindle coat
    white coat
    white and blue coat
    fawn coat
    black coat
    pink coat

Inside the head and heart, the good ones are all the same, they like to fight, love kids, like to sleep on the couch and they like to fight (did I say that twice?).

So asking if there is a difference is pointless, there is more variation within a breed, top to bottom, than between the breeds, side by side.

My opinion,

Sam
    Well put.

Full name
    Eugenia Baryshnikova

There's one small difference between the reputation the Presa and the Boerboel have in the US. If you talk to your average decoy/trainer in this country about working a presa most will roll thier eyes but will go get the sleeve. If you talk about having brought a boerboel to be worked they'll simply laugh at you. If nothing changes in the Presa world we'll be there in no time.

But as Sam said - the best are called the best because they are the best, i.e., not average.

Why would they laugh? Boerboels have no drive to work? Cowards???

Why would they roll their eyes at the Presa?

Full name
    Sam

They roll their eyes at the presa, because most of the trainers that think or have been told they are "working" or "evaluating" a "presa" have actually been messing with dogos.

I'm not saying that every presa would pass various tests, but I have yet to take my dogs to a trainer, "evaluator" and have them roll their eyes, usually they are in shock that these presas have this drive and desire to work and courage.

I spoke at length with Donovan years ago about the "presas" he had been working and they were actually dogos, he was not impressed. The dogos people were calling their dogos, presas and hence the confusion. Then when I brought him Isis (Hammer's momma), he would not believe she was a presa, at the time I had her papers and her OFA Good to prove it.

The same can be said many times over in the hog catching department by and large dogos are crap and I have yet to hear of a presa from more or less presa bloodlines that would not catch and catch hard.

But now things are more muddied up and such generalities are getting harder to prove as more or less facts.

PS. -- when I speak of dogos, I speak of genetic dogos not presas papered as dogos.

As to the Boerboels, well as bad as the presa/dogo has been puppy milled with no proper culling, by all accounts the situation with the boerboels has been touted as being worse. More show and no go.

That is not to say you could not probably find good ones somewhere. Ask if the breeder culls and culls hard, and odds are, there you will find the good ones, but this is true of any breed or domestic animal bred by man.

Sam
    When you are stupid, your whole body suffers- Scott Nelson 1986

Full name
    Quinn

some tend to look like boxers. baden line my preference. fearless animal properly trained and socialized. just not a presa. biggest diffrence.