Thread: The choice between Presa and Cane Corso?

Default The choice between Presa and Cane Corso?

Okay people, this is the situation as it stands now. I have been doing research on a number of breeds, looking for a capable addition to my family. I live on a fifteen-hundred acre ranch, and the road is a mile down a dirt road, past two gates--the outer one locked. I live with my girlfriend, and the only visitors we get are a five member hunting club that comes up for two weeks at the end of August. I want a dog that is loyal, and a capable man stopper. There are cattle grazing here, and I need to be able to socialize the dog so that it won't chase the livestock. I also don't know if it is advisable to buy a male dog? Will it get along with my male Pitbull-Mastiff cross? Have any of you dealt with the Cane Corso? Similarities between the breeds? diffierences? Who are the best breeders?

Mitch

Full name
    eSPO

Default Hi

Mitch, The Corso and the Presa are similar in appearance. The Corso has a much more abrupt "stop". Both are recent constructions and a good Presa is a much harder dog. If you are looking for a dog that can be an all around livestock guardian, companion and guardian the Presa is a better choice. Coyotes, wild dogs, and other vermin will regret the day they come across a good Presa. No males for you and the Mastiff/Pit, you would only be inviting trouble. Get a good , Drivey female and make sure you fix one of them. You have, what I consider to be, the ultimate environment for the Presa. You should probably talk to Sam Nelson about the Presa in that environment. Do your research, ask alot of questions and I wish you the best of luck !
    Long live the real Presa Canario !

Full name
    Tyrone M. Clark

Default cane corso or presa canario

hello mitch i have a friend that had a cane corso and he had to get rid of it because it git so aggresive and it tried to bite his wife and he raised this dog from a pup, i was looking at getting a corso before i got my presa and i glad i got the presa, the thing is will the corso know the difference on who to attack and who not to, i don"t think so,also a pro football player who lives in my city had a cane corso and he also had to get rid of it because of his agression just be careful what you ask for :bite: k:

Default A good Article

I found a very good article that compares the 2.

http://www.canecorsoitaliano.org/comparison.htm

Everyone always asks the question: what's the difference between the Presa/Dogo Canario and Cane Corso Italiano????

Typewise? Temperament?

Well lets start with type...

When speaking of "ideals" there's many differences in head and body.

Heads:
    A Cane Corso head is basically a square on a square. The head *should* be square with a square muzzle attached (NO TAPERING). Judges like to see a compact head. The ratios are 33.3% (so basically 1/3) muzzle to 66.6% (2/3) head. The eyes should be wide spaced, round and slightly protruding. The stop is very sharp/well marked. The bite should be undershot. I prefer reverse scissors. Scissors bite is a disqualification. Eyes should be dark as possible according to coat. The lips should fall in an upside down U if viewed from the front and from the side the top lip should be enough to cover and shape the lower jaw. If you look at the head from the side, nose should be a 90 degree angle and the planes of the head should be "convergent".

A Corso has a very distinct look...the "expression" is intense and alert.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Dogo Canario head is not "compact". The muzzle should also be wide and thick but it should be longer than the Corso in comparison and with a slight convergence (tapering). The correct ratio is 40% muzzle to 60% head. The eye shape is slightly oval and the cheeks are pronounced. The lips fall in an upside down V when viewed from the front and from the side, the lips should have more substance. When viewing the head from the side, the stop should not be pronounced and the planes of the head and muzzle are parallel. The Presa also has more dewlap. Proper bite on a Dogo Canario is a scissors bite with reverse scissors as an acceptable bite.

The Dogo Canario also has a very distinct look...the "expression" is of a laidback, distant look.

Compare examples of head type:

Bodies? While both were former farm dogs; the Corso was used for hunting and needed endurance along with some power. The Presa however needed more power and less endurance. Therefore the angulations in the rears are different. The Presa has a straighter rear capable of more powerful thrusts and short bursts of speed/running. The Corso, has a well angulated rear designed for long chases and with enough power to pull down their prey/game once they reach it.

The Dogo Canario croup is higher than it's withers. The back should be straight and the topline ascending to the croup. The Corso has a straight back and a slight lumbar convexity.

Trait
    Dogo Canario
    Cane Corso Italiano

B

O

D
    Y

B

O

D
    Y

C

H

E

S

T

Chests are extremely different. Presas have wide, dropped chests, the Corso has a weak chest in comparison but strong in itís own way. The Corso chest is muscular but inverted.

Temperament? Also different. I noticed that with some exceptions, the Corso is more of a clinging dog. They want to be with you and look to please you as fast as possible. They have constant eye contact. The Dogo Canario I have found to be more laidback, less energetic and most with a slight stubborn streak. They can both be dog dominant and/or dog aggressive (the Presa a little more so) but for the most part they are both fine with other dogs. As for barking, both are relatively quiet although when they DO bark all of my Dogo Canario have high pitched "happy" or excited barks but are low pitched when upset. My Corsi generally have deep barks.

Colors/coat? Dogo Canario only come in shades of brindles and fawns - all with a black mask. The Cane Corso comes in black, gray, fawns, and brindles. Fawn Corsi must have either black or gray mask. Dogo Canario should have no undercoat while the Corso has a double coat called a "cow coat" that has a thick undercoat. Both shed a little bit constantly and depending on your weather patterns, may "blow coat" seasonally.

TRAIT CORSO PRESA
    Head Ratios 33.3% Muzzle : 66.6% Head 40% Muzzle : 60% Head
    Planes of the Head Convergent Parallel (slight convergent allowed)
    Muzzle Thick NO tapering Thick WITH tapering
    Stop Pronounced Slight
    Lip Shape from Front Upside down U Upside down V
    Eye Shape Round Slightly Oval
    Bite Undershot / Reverse Scissors Scissors (reverse scissors allowed)
    Chest Inverted Drop (V shaped)
    Topline Straight back, slightly convex lumbar region Croup higher than the withers

Have more questions? Feel free to post on our forum.

Dogo Canario photos courtesy of Gran Tenerife Kennels and

Special Thanks to Alexis MacKinnon

Full name
    eSPO

Default You will find

You will find that many "Dogos"and many Corsos look alike, it is due to the Neopolitan Mastiff influence in some Dogos and most Corso. Both are modern constructions. The Corso world seems to be experiencing more health and temperment problems than the Dogo. I`ll take a good Presa over a good Corso, anyday.
    Long live the real Presa Canario !

Default Our choice

We considered a Cane Corso before buying a Presa Canario. Luckily we were able to talk to several people who have had both dogs and could compare/contrast the two. That helped a lot as far as which dogs met our situation best. We also went to shows and talked to two really good breeers (California Cane Corso, Bob and Leilani; Top Notch Kennels, Cedal and De). We met their dogs and saw the ones we liked best first hand. At first we couldn't tell the difference between the two and now it's easy. I still have a fondness for the Cane, but the Presa is what we chose. I'm no expert, but from what we've seen at shows and the people we've talked to and the reading we've done, the Canes tend to be more clingy and sensitive to correction. The Presas are a little more (ahem) independent (read that as stubborn sometimes) and tend to be a little stronger dogs emotionally. Both can be very protective, even aggressive. At the last show, I met a man with a very nice black Cane Corso bitch. He handed me the dog so he could go to the restroom and I was awful glad when he came back. Great dog, but knew I wasn't her owner and let me know she didn't care one bit about me. The Cane's are a bit smaller usually. The lines vary just like with the Presa, be SURE you've got a good breeder. I am hearing more about dysplasia with the Canes than the Presa. I was told the Cane Corsos get along with other types of pets better than the Presa, but my Presas don't bother the cat at all. Good luck in your choice and let us know which you choose!
    ~Presa Canario "Villain" and Caucasian Ovcharka "Russia"~

Default Presa? Corso?

I too have been looking at both breeds. I own a Presa right now, but she isn't really a good representation of the breed. This is what I am doing. I am going to the shows, talking to breeders, meeting breeders. The best advice I can give is the same advice I got from two professional dog trainers. Pick your breed and breeder and pick a solid pup. Good luck - always do your homework. I decided over a year ago that I wanted to get a puppy - it has been a slow process but I WILL get the dog I want this time. Always look at the parents as well - I didn't get to see the parents of my Presa and I regret that to this day. Go with your gut feelings - sometimes even the best breeders miss things - they are only human.

Regards,
    SarahC

That above quote by madness is from Potenzabella kennels whom I recently purchased a male Presa from.

I agree with most of the statements already made, although myself and I'm sure most everybody else on this board have a bit of a biased opinion when it comes to breed preferences.

From my experience with the breed, Presa's seem to be the much more relaxed of the two breeds. Most Presa's will gladly run and play as well as defend there owner and property if properly trained and the situation called for it, and a good Corso should do the same. However from my experience, when you're at home, and it's time to relax, the Presa is more laid back and willing to lie on the couch next to you while you watch tv. While Corso's seem to be a little more wound up.

It all depends on what you're looking for in a dog, I've talked to Presa breeders who have trained both breeds and agree with espo that the Presa is more tough mentally than the Corso, but that is of course a generality.

Your best bet is to go meet a respectable breeder for each breed and meet the sire and dam of the pup you're going to purchase. You'll get a better feel of which dog is going to be right for you by actually meeting a Presa or Corso and making your own decision. But remember, just because somebody says they're breeding Presa's or Corso's doesn't mean they're not just trying to sell you a Bandog (which are great dogs in there own right), always ask around.

Mark

Full name
    Sam

Default /

I would get a hard, female presa with a lot of leg, if you have that much property to take care of, the extra leg length will help her distance and overall speed. You shouldn't have any dog to dog problems with your pit/mastiff they will "pack-up", nueter/spay somebody. I think the medium to large (20 acre and up) farm/ranch setting is the most ideal situation to utilize the talents and instincts of a GOOD presa. When you don't need them they are relaxed, unlike most (a generalization, I know) pits or herding type breeds, but when you do need them and they "flip the switch" so to speak, it will put butterflies in your stomach, LOL. For an overall farmdog, I have no need or desire for anything but a presa. I am biased, on this subject, but their is a reason I am. I have seen them get it done.

MY .02,

Sam